Wednesday, March 18, 2015

A Tribute to Hunter

Rest in Peace, Hunter
We were so sad to hear of the passing of OBG alum Hunter ('01) earlier this week.  He was the first OBG dog adopted by OBG's President Teresa Butler and led to her involvement in OBG these past 14 years! Teresa and her family are in our thoughts and prayers. Rest in peace, sweet boy. 

Here is Teresa's tribute to Hunter: 
Our dog, Hunter, passed on to the Rainbow Bridge sometime while we slept Sunday night.  He had had a nasty bout of pancreatitis recently and I thought we might lose him then, but he recovered and was doing really well the past month. It seemed like he was more and more his old self every day until this past weekend. He had gotten sick so we took him to the vet. They gave him fluids, but said that they thought he would be OK and sent him home with some medication. He didn't have an appetite and he slept a lot, but at least he didn't seemed stressed or in pain. Finding him the next morning was devastating.



Hunter was our very first OBG dog. We adopted him 14 years ago at the age of 1 year old. His prior owners gave him up because they said he was "too active." Ironically, he really wasn't that active. He liked to run around the back yard and play, but what he loved most was being on a lap. In fact, he was the poster child for the cocker lap dog and never met a lap he didn't like. He was very bonded to my daughter and took it hard when she moved out of the house almost four years ago. He was depressed for a while, but then he bounced back to his old happy self. He went through another depression when our german shepherd, Cody, died two years ago (the two grew up together), but again, he bounced back. Just last week he was outside chasing the tennis ball! At the age of 14 he wouldn't play for long, but he still loved to run after that ball and he had great mobility for his age.

It's because of Hunter that I started volunteering with OBG.  One weekend, my daughter and I had gone to PetSmart and OBG was there having a show. My daughter asked if she could go pet the dogs and as we were walking over, I remember telling her "don't even think it." Well, she thought it. She was the one who first fell in love with Hunter. I actually drove home with her crying in the back of the van the whole drive home, but I couldn't get Hunter out of my mind, either.  I ended up driving back to the show and adopting him. Totally impulsive and as a now seasoned rescue worker, I can't believe they gave him to me when I was acting on such an impulse! (Back then you could adopt a dog right from a show.)

Needless to say, none of us ever regretted my impulsive decision to adopt Hunter. Two months later I started volunteering with OBG and within six months I was fostering. I like to think that all the lives I have helped to save since adopting Hunter are a part of Hunter's legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment