Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Week 7: Jax's Biggest Loser Campaign

Intake Weight: 56 Pounds
New Weight: 37 Pounds

Jax's Campaign: Jax is on a mission to lose at least 27 pounds in the next six to nine months. Let's cheer him on to "LOSE THAT WEIGHT!" You will hear about Jax's progress through his, his foster brother Ziggy's and his foster mom Mary's eyes. Read below for how week seven went in his foster home! He has lost 3 more pounds!! Way to Go, Jax! That is a total of 19 pounds -- only 8 more pounds to go!!!


Week Seven

Jax
Jax is such a good boy!
What a perfect sit!
Training is going well. Bill and Mary know that I want a lift onto the sofa every night after dinner. Sometimes Mary would like to be sewing, but we dogs make reading on the couch irresistible. Mary knows that when I am restless and then run to the front door, it’s time to go out.

I am working hard to be able to get myself onto the sofa. I’ve tried jumping, but I just crash into the front of the couch. I’ve also tried putting my front paws on the sofa and hoping my butt would follow. No luck with that. I often stand like that a long time, resting my head on the cushion, drooling and hoping for a lift. Ziggy likes to jump over me and curl up on the sofa and watch.

There is a gate in front of the stairs to the bedrooms. I am not allowed on the steps. Ziggy is allowed. Once a week Mary walks me upstairs on my leash for a shower (check me out on the stairs). I don’t like getting wet, but I love being upstairs. This week while Mary was taking off her artificial fur to get ready for our shower, I noticed that the bed is much lower than the sofa. Not low enough—I got stuck halfway up with my back legs hanging over the edge.

Ziggy
Jax is getting stronger and faster. He doesn’t fall over any more. But sometimes he wipes out on the curves when we are running around the house to let the peeps know that dinner is late, the dogs are starving. He can’t do most of what I can. I used to stay in my crate in the morning until I was offered treats. Now that they let Jax out first, I streak out of the crate and onto the sofa. I stand facing the back of the sofa to be petted and get my harness on. On walks I sometimes let him be a bad, barking dog by himself. Carrots for Ziggy.

Mary 
Jax weighed 37 pounds this Monday. He looks smaller. He’s bouncier. He and Ziggy are getting along.

Jax is not a fan of getting wet. He’s to be bathed with special shampoo—which is to be left on for ten minutes. The time I knelt next to the stall to bath him, these ten minutes were incredibly long. So now we shower together. I leave his collar on and tie his leash to the handicapped bar in the shower.  (check him out here) I wet him down with the moveable nozzle and then lather him up. Then I wash myself—face, hair, body. The ten minutes fly by. I squeegee him down by hand, and let him drip while I dry myself. I don’t untie his leash until I have his towels ready and the bathroom door shut. No chasing soapy dogs for me! Since Jax is trying to lose weight, I don’t smear peanut butter on the shower wall to keep him occupied (but it’s a great trick to keep dogs happy while bathing).

No comments:

Post a Comment