Monday, May 19, 2014

A Farewell to OBG Alum Farrah

Beautiful Farrah went to the Rainbow Bridge on April 12, 2014 at the age of 14-15 years.  She was loved by her Mom, Rita, and her Foster Mom, Connie, and many friends.  Rita and Connie share their tributes to Farrah below.  Rest in peace, sweet Farrah. You will be missed.

Farrah came to OBG in June 2009 at the age of 11. She was found as a stray in the Norfolk, Virginia area and the shelter was going to put her down because of her age and health issues. She had ear and eye problems and mammary tumors. OBG took her in and helped her get well. She stayed with Connie for 22 months before finding her forever home in 2011 with Rita and her foster/forever sibling, Poochie Girl, whom Rita also adopted.


Here is her Mom's tribute:

It is with great sadness that I am writing to you to let you know of Farrah's passing. She passed away very peacefully on Saturday, April 12, 2014. Thanks to OBG for rescuing her and with your and my care she lived a good long life of 14-15 years. Farrah was truly an exceptional dog and I was very privileged to have her. Both she and Poochie Girl bought such great joy to my life - thank you so much for letting me adopt them. One of my favorite stories about Farrah was how when she first arrived, her routine was to walk the entire perimeter of the fence every time she went out - it was so cute and endearing. And how she would 'howl' looking out the back door waiting for me to come home. Luckily she settled in quickly and would then wait patiently with Poochie for me to come home.

I am including a picture of Farrah at the OBG hayride last fall. This one was really captured Farrah's happy face. I'm also attaching a picture of Farrah arriving home from the groomer in February - she was 'smiling' and wearing her Valentine bandana.

God Bless Farrah. She was a kind and gentle soul. She is truly missed. Rita

----------------------------------------------------
Here is Connie's tribute:

Farrah held a special place in my heart. She spent two summers with me in North Carolina, the first one recovering from two major surgeries to get her healthy. Most of the time I was alone there with just the dogs and taking care of them kept me busy. But Farrah loved our time there because we would get housefuls of company for her to visit with!

Farrah and Poochie Girl
She was also was one of my fosters who was with me the longest- 22 months. Farrah was one of the sweetest, friendliest, gentlest dogs I have ever met. Since she was a mix she had a long, feathery, sweeping tail that always wagged! Each weekend she loved to attend OBG adoption shows. At the shows she was OBG's official greeter along with her regular handler, David. She loved everyone, human and doggie! So why did it take her so long to become adopted? Perhaps it was a combination of age, size- she was a bit bigger, and her color- black. I like to think that it was fate waiting for just the right adopter to come along so that she could go to the perfect forever family. And she did find that family. She lived in an area along the river where her mom took her and Poochie Girl for walks. Rita's mom loved them both dearly too and when they came to visit she would spoil Farrah and Poochie Girl by cooking especially for them. Farrah's mom took her and Poochie Girl to several of the OBG events like the Canine Cruise and the Hayride. Wonderful events that I know they all greatly enjoyed. I can't tell you how very sad and desolate I felt to hear of Farrah's passing over the Rainbow Bridge. But I was also so very happy to know that thanks to OBG, Farrah was blessed to share two great years loved as my foster and three wonderful years loved in her forever home.
Connie


No comments:

Post a Comment