Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Week 3: Jax's Biggest Loser Campaign

Intake Weight: 56 Pounds
New Weight: 45 Pounds

Jax's Campaign: Jax is on a mission to lose at least 27 pounds in the next six to nine months. Let's cheer him on to "LOSE THAT WEIGHT!" You will hear about Jax's progress through his, his foster brother Ziggy's and his foster mom Mary's eyes. Read below for how his week week in his foster home went! He has lost 11 pounds in 39 days! GO JAX!

WEEK THREE
JAX
My fur is filling in!
Mary took me for rides in the car. I love sleeping in the car. She put me in the back seat. She tried to put something on me, but it didn’t fit. Ziggy does not let me on the sofa. When Ziggy is in his crate sometimes Bill lifts me onto the sofa. Mary does not like dog fights. I don’t start them, but she puts us both in our crates to settle down.

ZIGGY
Mary is always paying attention to that other dog. Once when she was giving him eye drops, I pushed him out of the way. She gave me the eye drop instead of Jax. Now I am not so jealous of this attention. I stand really close, but Jax can have the medicine.

One fun thing that Jax does is bark. A lot. Especially when we are outside. I bark, too. Sometimes when we are racing around the house (guess who wins? Not the fat dog) and he gives a little bark, I think he wants to fight. So I growl at him, and snap my teeth, and he cries. What a dope.

MARY
We had a big week. Jax had such long nails that he was clicking as he limped along with his legs bent to take weight off his paws. I got him a quickie mani-pedi appointment with my groomer. She used to work at a shelter and is very patient with my fosters. Jax was good with all the yappy little dogs. Not so good with the nail clipping. She only took a little off, but his gait is much improved.

We also visited the vet. Jax was only forty-five pounds. Down eleven pounds in 39 days. He’s losing lots of fat, but still has almost no muscle. I’m upping his food to a half cup twice day, per the vet’s recommendation.

Jax and I walked to the end of our street and back four times a day his second week here. He hasn’t fallen lately, and is even a little bouncy on our first walk of the day. So this week we walked around the block for two of our four daily walks. Saturday was so warm and sunny that a neighbor and I took both boys for a walk. We added another block to the distance. It was too much for Jax. His wheezing for the last two blocks was painful to hear. We stopped every ten feet to rest.


Blogger Note: When Jax arrived to Mary he had to wear a harness meant for a much larger dog -- a Saint Bernard said Mary!  In this video Mary shows us how big the harness was and tells us one week when Jax didn't lose any weight, she said to Jax, "it's not just the number on the scale but how your harness fits."


No comments:

Post a Comment