Friday, January 17, 2014

A Merry Band of Cockers!

We received this wonderful update on OBGs Alum Tea and Dasher and their sibling, Bree!

About 2 ½ years ago my daughter rescued an eight-month-old cocker spaniel who, had she not taken her, would have gone to a local animal shelter. At the time I had an older pit bull/lab mix (Rory) and although I had no experience with cocker spaniels I agreed to give “Bree” a try.

Bree and Rory became fast friends (They say that opposites attract) and when I took the new pup for her checkup, the Vet asked if I got her from” Oldies But Goodies.” I had never heard of OBG but after hearing her talk about this great rescue group, I went on line and started reading up on the website. I guess I don’t have to tell you- it didn’t take long before I was hooked on these beautiful dogs and this wonderful group of people.

Tea
Sooooo- fast forward to June of 2012. I adopted Tea, a petite red headed Cocker with a spring in her step and a heart as big as the sky. Despite coming from a very painful and abusive past, she fit in perfectly with our little family and I got endless support from her OBG foster Mom, Beth. Tea can still be timid and shy when she encounters an unknown, but knows she’s loved and protected now.

Dasher & Tea
The experience with Tea and OBG was so positive that in October 2012, I adopted Dasher (aka Elmer). He had been a starving little waif found wandering the streets of Washington D.C. The D.C. Humane Society said he was about three years old, but it didn’t take long to figure out that one year was more like it! Having a pup in the house was a challenge but again, how could anyone resist that freckled nose?

Tea, Rory & Woodstock, the cat
People found it amazing that such a motley group of differing sizes, and backgrounds functioned as their own cohesive little family. Some people thought I was crazy and others told me it was so selfless of me to adopt three cocker spaniels after already having a large breed dog.

Here’s the truth - they bring so much to my life, I can’t even begin to explain it. They are my little “fur kids” in every sense of the word. They ask so little and give so much. They love unconditionally and love to be a true part of your life every day, good or bad . There’s always something to delight in!


Tea & Bree
A few days before Thanksgiving we lost Rory. She was 14 years old but it was still a shock. I can’t imagine how I would have made it through without Bree, Tea, and Dasher. They are a constant comfort although it is evident they miss her too. She was a dear friend and companion to all of us.

As they say at OBG- “Adopt a Cocker and make a friend for life.” Truer words were never spoken.

I’ve heard these dogs described as the “Merry Cocker” and as far as I’m concerned, the more the merrier!!!  (Blogger's Note: And we couldn't agree more!)


Bree & Tea on Watch



No comments:

Post a Comment