Monday, December 16, 2013

Holiday Safety Tips for Our Pets!

Everyone looks forward to the holiday season, even our furry family members! But what's festive for you can also be dangerous for your pet, so we'd like to share some tips for safe holidays. Special thanks to our good friends at Caring Hands Animal Hospital of Alexandria for this helpful pet safety information! Hope you and your pets have a safe and happy holiday!


Please also watch out for common chemicals like Pet De-Icers and Antifreeze

Pets and De-Icers
The salt and other chemicals used to melt snow and ice can irritate the pads of your pet's feet. During walks, your dog’s feet, legs and belly may pick up these deicers, antifreeze, or other chemicals that could be toxic. When you get back inside, wipe down (or wash) your pet’s feet, legs and belly to remove these chemicals and reduce the risk that your dog will be poisoned after (s)he licks them off of his/her feet or fur. Consider using pet-safe deicers on your property to protect your pets and the others in your neighborhood.

Antifreeze Is a Sweet but Deadly Poison for Pets
Ethylene glycol, the main ingredient in almost all major antifreeze brands, has an inviting aroma, a sweet flavor. Its appealing smell and taste often tempt animals and children to drink the highly poisonous substance. In December 2012, manufacturers voluntarily agreed to add a bittering agent to antifreeze, but pet owners should still take precautions. It's always important to keep antifreeze out of the reach of animals, as it only takes a few tablespoons of highly toxic antifreeze to seriously jeopardize an animal's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment