Sunday, August 25, 2013

Guest Blogger Bungie on How to Train My Humans - Franken-Bungie!




It’s not even Halloween yet, but I have my costume all lined up. Last year, I dressed up as the Frog Prince, but this year I’m going as Franken-Bungie! That’s because I had to have surgery and now I have a big zig-zag scar down my neck. It’s perfect for my costume! Although I have had to wear the cone of shame for 2 weeks, which is a big bummer!

So why did I need surgery? It turns out that I had a suspicious bump on my neck. I’ve had a small bump on my neck since I came to live with Mom and Dad, but Mom noticed it started to get a little bigger in June and was irritated. And I’ll admit it – I scratched it - which made it get really big. The spot went from being the size of a pea to being the size of a quarter in 2 weeks. That’s when Mom knew I needed to see the vet pronto! It turns out I had a sebaceous epithelioma tumor. Luckily, these tumors don’t tend to spread and the vet got good margins on the tumor so everyone is very happy!

Cockerspaniels are prone to getting lumps and bumps, so Mom thought it was important I share my story. Generally those lumps and bumps are OK, but it’s important to train your person to check them regularly for changes. If a bump starts to change rapidly, it could be a sign that something is wrong and needs vet attention right away. I’ve had 3 different types of lumpy cancers in the 3 years I’ve been with my people, so they are getting lots of training! But catching those bad lumps early means I was able to get life-saving treatment before the cancers could spread. And that means many more happy days napping with the people I love best!

Bungie, we are so happy to hear your surgery went well and that you are recovering nicely! Way to go on training your humans to keep an eye out and get you to your vet so quickly!  Sorry about the cone! Tell your Mom about a new thing called the "onesie" for dogs. Our friend, Carol Bryant, Wigglebutt Warrior and author of Fidose of Reality, told us about it. It's a great alternative to the icky cone of shame from Tulane's Closet, LLC. Her pooch, Dexter, who just had surgery is trying it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment