Monday, March 11, 2013

Guest Blogger, Kaylee: How to Train Your Humans


How to Train Your Humans  – A Seat at the Table

“Gestures are all that I have; sometimes they must be grand in nature. And while I occasionally step over the line and into the world of the melodramatic, it is what I must do in order to communicate clearly and effectively. . . It’s so hard to communicate because there are so many moving parts. There’s presentation and there’s interpretation and they’re so dependent on each other that it makes things very difficult”. Garth Stein, The Art of Racing in the Rain

Sometimes people tease my Lindsey and say that us dogs can’t really communicate as she says we do. But I don’t agree. I think you just have to be listening. For instance, I prefer to think of myself as a princess more than a dog, which means that I deserve privileges that the boys don’t get. Like sitting at the table for breakfast.

Lindsey and I have a morning breakfast ritual. I like to sit on her lap or on the chair next to her while she drinks her BIG mug of coffee and reads the paper and checks the OBG site for news. I like to peruse the pictures of soon-to-be OBG alumni while sniffing the tabletop for any crumbs left over from Eric’s breakfast. The boys come and get their ears scratched from time to time, but my morning isn’t complete without some quality lap time. When you see my face smiling up at you and my nub wagging, it’s hard to deny what I want – a place at the table! Now if only I could convince Lindsey to let me on the big bed at night! No luck yet, but I’ll keep trying!


No comments:

Post a Comment