Sunday, December 23, 2012

Duchess's Happy Tail

Hi, my name is Duchess and my mom rescued me! I was just a 1.5 year old southern belle from Alabama when I was transported up to the DC area to participate in Oldies But Goodies. Looking at my paper-trail, it’s unclear exactly how I arrived at the Alabama shelter, but it says that after arriving, I was adopted and then returned. Who names me Duchess and then returns me, I ask?! Boy did they miss out because I am now4 years old and even though I am petite for my breed (I weigh just 19 lbs.), I am no runt! I am very smart and I have learned many skills since finding my way to my forever home with my mom. 

I make friends, both four-legged and two-legged, wherever I go. My neighbors and the concierge in my building are simply smitten with me! My favorite playmate is my cousin, Lakota, who is a 135 lb. Alaskan Malamute. We like to run and wrestle together. I am made up of lots of sugar and a little bit of spice. Sweet and sassy are words I often hear my mom use to describe me. In fact, my occasional tantrums for attention and to play have been coined Duch’ums!

When I first arrived home, I was noticeably malnourished. Now I enjoy great organic food and I eat baby carrot sticks and fruit (apples, bananas, and watermelon are just a few my favs) for snacks. My motor skills were also incredibly under-developed. For example, I did not know how to hold a Nylabone and my mom says that my ball-handling skills left a lot to be desired (she’s a sport psychologist, so she knows these things). But, I’ve since become quite the athlete. Not only am I a great receiver with the tennis ball, but I can dribble and kick my soccer ball. On top of that, I’ve learned how to hold my Nylabones and I’ve become a long distance runner, too. My current PR is 7.0 miles – and, I’m fast! Catch me if you can!

Sweet Smooches,
Duchess

No comments:

Post a Comment